Based on feedback from current college students, here are their top rated items for college dorm needs (besides appliances, TV, or computer). When asked what they felt were the “must-have” items for making living in the dorm, away from home easier, here is a basic list from their responses.
As parent of a first year student, I had SO many questions and we scoured so many websites for suggestions. So, I decided to ask the people who were actually LIVING in dorms to see what worked for them.
College Dorm Must-Haves! Shop this list right here!
- Mattress pad
- Closet organizers
- Felt Hangers
- Laundry pods
- A good laundry basket – one that can be easily carried to the laundry room
- Snacks with long shelf life, such as granola bars, dried fruit, etc.
- Desk lamp
- Gift cards to places like Walmart, Target, Starbucks or local chain restaurant (to get a break from campus food)
- Storage – Storage – Storage
- Area rug
- Shower caddy. Look for a plastic caddy or a mesh type
- Command strips of various sizes. Most dorms will not allow putting nails into the walls
- Shower shoes or flip-flops
- White board calendar
- Desk top organizer for supplies
- Keurig. Even if it isn’t used for making coffee, it comes in handy for making hot water for instant potatoes, ramen, etc.
- Extra pillows – like throw pillows or body pillow
- Good quality bathrobe
- Rolls of quarters if the laundry machines do not take debit cards
- Heavy-duty power strips
- Extra phone chargers
- Sanitizing wipes for cleanups
- Extra throw blanket
- Pens and pencils. Students can never have enough!
- Trash can and liners
What can they not have enough of?? That’s easy!
- Food / Snacks
I would be interested in knowing what you would add or take away from this list. Share with others with your comments below.
© 2017, Joanne. All rights reserved.